Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Like A Girl

The Always #LikeAGirl campaign was certainly an eye opener for me. I myself have used the phrase Like A Girl as an insult several times, without actually realizing the underlying meaning that it has for my gender.

It was a moment of great self realization for me when I watched the original video by Always. I would have behaved exactly the same way the older girls did when asked to run like a girl. Its amazing how the younger generation needed to teach us what it means to be a girl.

Today, when I attend an interview I proudly admit that one of my best qualities is that I am bossy. The best part? I was amazed how the interviewers - male and female respected me so much more for saying it.

This leads to me to an interesting question - are some types of discrimination just in our heads? Why do we women talk ourselves down?

Its time for women to challenge the status quo. Its time we raised our hands and voiced our strengths instead of hiding behind the stereotypes of society. While rape and domestic violence are more social problems that require a collective multi pronged effort, issues such as gender stereo typing and segregation can be addressed individually.

We just need to be willing to change the rules. Case and Point -  Olympian Hilary Knight weighs 180 pounds and is the first Woman to practice with the NHL. Why should women athletes be size zero?

We have all been told not to do something Like A Girl at some stage in our lives. Its time for us to own the things we do Like A Girl. Thanks to the #LikeAGirl video I am not afraid to say I cry like a girl, I write like a girl, I am bossy like a girl.






No comments:

Post a Comment